Invitation Postage

Thursday, April 22, 2010

I am getting really antsy to post our wedding invites, but since they might not have reached all of our guests just yet, I have to use some restraint. What I can post for you today is a little story about our wedding postage.

I have been shopping around for websites that do custom postage. I thought it might be fun to print a custom stamp to use on our invites and RSVPs. This is becoming pretty popular on the wedding planning circuit. Different couples choose different options for custom stamps.

Some use wedding themed stamps:

Some couples go for a personal picture of themselves:

Since we didn’t really want something too wedding-y and we can never agree on a picture of the two of us that we both like, we decided to try to find something to represent our destination, Detroit! I searched for images of Detroit logos, Detroit landmarks and Detroit cityscapes. I came up with a lot of great images, but had to narrow it down. Evan and I decided that we both really liked the image of the Spirit of Detroit. So, I uploaded this picture and planned to print a stamp that would look like this:

We plan to have our photo taken in front of this famous landmark on our wedding day, so it seemed a great landmark to represent Detroit. It was very surprising when I received an email from the website stating something to the effect of, “we can not print your stamps because it violates our policy to not print any religious symbols.” (This is extremely paraphrased.)

What???

Don’t they know that this is a monument that is dressed in a Red Wings jersey on a regular basis? He wore the Detroit Tigers jersey a few years back when they were in the World Series and he was even dressed in a tuxedo one year when the Three Tenors came to Detroit. I never thought of this is a religious symbol. It is more like Detroit city’s Statue of Liberty. Since I can’t argue with a website, I had to pick something else to use on our stamp. For fear of being rejected again, and not wanting to waste too much more time, I decided to make a compromise with myself. I would use a regular postage stamp for the invite envelopes:

And customize our RSVP stamp with an image that is more personal to us:

We used the bluebird image created by our good friend Ann. I absolutely love it! We are using this image as part of our wedding logo, so it only seems fitting that it be part of our invites. It all worked out in the end, so maybe it was a sign from a higher power, or from the streets of Detroit.

2 comments:

Gayle said...

I think you are so lucky to be able to personalise it like that! Here in Australia you have 2 options: you can buy books of stamps with already printed wedding type themes or you can put a photo of yourself on one but here's the catch: it doesn't actually go ON the stamp, it's the little left over perforated bit to the side, which totally ruins the effect of getting it done in the first place! :D

April 22, 2010 at 8:35 PM
Jessica said...

I thought for sure you'd chose that pointing hand statue.
;-)

April 22, 2010 at 9:41 PM

Post a Comment