Wedding Recap: Part 4 – The Décor

Friday, July 23, 2010

Wedding decorations are the thing that most brides obsess over during the wedding planning process and I was no exception. I bought countless Brides Magazines and read the wedding blogs on a daily basis to get ideas for décor. Flowers, candles, crafts, tablecloths and chiavari chairs were all I could think about for months. Happily on the wedding day, everything fell into place and the event was beautiful.

Our set up for the ceremony was simple and elegant. We had our ceremony in a rehearsal room at the Max Fisher Music Center. The space was long and narrow and the room had a golden glow to it. I knew that I didn’t want to get married under a floral arch and when I saw a photo in Martha Stewart Wedding Magazine, the L.O.V.E signs were engrained in my brain. My florist, Sandy of Wesley Berry, did an amazing job of creating a beautiful and simple look for these signs from the tiny little picture ripped from the magazine. She added the floral accent and the candles inside the stands which were really nice touches. The must have chiavari chairs were set in simple rows with my tissue pomanders on every other row. To save a few dollars, we used the same chairs for the reception. The event crew simply pulled the chairs out of the ceremony room and set them up in the reception area while guests were in line at the bar at the beginning of the cocktail hour. I sincerely don’t think anyone really noticed the switch out. And this little savings is how I rationalized a linen upgrade.

The “tablescape” was something I spent a lot of time thinking about. Since we did not have a formal dinner at our reception, I knew that we wouldn’t have place settings on our tables. I didn’t want the tables to look empty, but did want there to be space for people to eat. The florist did an excellent job creating the look that did exactly that. We did single flower arrangements in different sized cube glass vases. On the larger tables we had three vases and on the smaller tall boy tables we had just one arrangement. The arrangements were great contrasting colors in orange, green and cream, that looked really nice next to our glass bluebird wedding favors. At the last minute I added some frosted votive candle holders to add a little mood once the lights went down. Linens for the reception space were the brightest orange the rental company, Special Events Rental, had in their racks. The lobby space was steel grey floors with gold and russet accents. I knew I wanted something bright to liven up the room.

The venue itself was a space that needed very little to make it feel glamorous. The gold and marble staircase was one of my favorite features of the space. Evan and I spent some time watching our guests on the dance floor from the top of the stairs while the party raged. It was a great place to reflect on it all. Having the wedding reception at a theatre was the perfect venue for the kind of vision I had for my wedding day. I wouldn’t have done anything different.

All Photos were provided by Inspired Art Portraits.

1 comments:

Evan Greenwood said...

It looks like you're walking me down the stairs:)

July 23, 2010 at 12:38 PM

Post a Comment