Wedding Soundtrack

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

As we get closer to the date, we need to make some decisions when it comes to the soundtrack of our wedding. We have our band and DJ locked and loaded (because they happen to be relatives) but we still have music decisions that need to be nailed down, 1) Music for the Ceremony, 2) Music during “Cocktail Hour”, 3) Requests for the Band and 4) Requests for the DJ.

Music during the ceremony is totally stumping me. Do we play the traditional bridal march or an alternative classical arrangement? Do we play a CD or live music? All of these questions are yet to be answered. . I would love for his cousin Jane to play the piano and the venue said that they have plenty of pianos around, so it would be no problem to bring one in. Still I have no idea what she should play. Fortunately, I have a solution…make Evan do it! He said he wanted to be in charge of the music, so he can have at it.



We decided months ago that we want to incorporate Motown Music as a tribute to Detroit. We spent hours downloading and listening to Motown tracks. We picked out our favorites and thought about different family members and which songs would spark them to get out of their seats. Everyone loves Motown Music, right? Then I got to thinking, “what if everyone doesn’t love Motown Music?” That could turn into a total bummer for the person who doesn’t particularly care for the sweet sounds of Marvin Gaye, the Jackson 5, the Temptations or Stevie Wonder. (I know it is hard to imagine.) Then I read an update from my planner, who sends weekly tips to all her brides. She recommended playing our themed music for the cocktail hour. That way if there are people who don’t like it, they will get variety when the dance party gets started. I think that this is a great solution. Now we will just have to narrow down our favorites to get them on the playlist. Since our entire reception is really a cocktail style receptions we will probably play Motown Music during the first hour up until the cake cutting.

Requests for the band are tougher than you would think. We want them to play their original songs because that is why we love them, but we also want them to play songs that all guests will be familiar with. I would like them to play the “first dance” song. We haven’t decided 100% what that will be, but we are leaning towards, “Come Away with Me” by Norah Jones. There are some other options floating around, but I really like this one.



My must have wedding song is “Love Shack”. I know it sounds silly, but I love this song and always wanted it played on my wedding day. I don’t know if I should ask the band to play this song or put in a request with the DJ. Either way, I will be happy. The only thing that I want to give to our DJ is a list of DO NOT PLAY songs. No electric slide, no chicken dance, absolutely no no no line dancing songs. I know it is harsh, but I just can’t take it. I know that we will have people on the dance floor, because Evan and I love to dance. The bride and groom having fun dancing should be more than enough of a draw.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Post a Comment