Double Dress Dilemma

Thursday, February 11, 2010

I know it sounds extravagant, but I am seriously considering having two wedding dresses. Having two dresses may be something often seen on Bridezillas, but I just can’t help wanting a formal dress and a party dress.

I am 100% wearing a long dress for my ceremony and for pictures. I must have the traditional long white dress. What I am still debating, is having another short party dress (still white) to change in to in the middle of the reception. This poses a lot of extra things to coordinate. At what point during the reception do you make the change? Who is responsible to bringing the party dress to the reception site? Who is responsible for bringing the long dress back from the reception site? We aren’t having a seated dinner, so do I change right after the ceremony, after the cake cutting or after the first dance?

I have come across some really adorable short wedding dresses, or as I like to call them, wedding cocktail attire. These are not helping. I just love the short sweet styles of Amsale, Oscar De La Renta and Casablanca Bridal.

Source

Source

Source

Source
I am a very spoiled Bride and I know this. Not many people get to have a wedding dress custom made for them by their little brother who happens to be an up and coming fashion designer. For this reason, I wonder if I am getting a little greedy wanting to have two dresses. I have gone back and forth on this decision a number of times, so I’ve decided to list the pros and cons of having two dresses in order to make a final decision. Also, I need to figure this out with enough time to have said little brother make me another dress. And to answer the question that I’m sure you are thinking, “No I don’t care if he minds making two dresses, he is my little brother and he has to do what I tell him or I will put him in a headlock.”

Pros to having two dresses:
:) You don’t have to decide on long vs. short, you can have both!
:) It is easier to dance all night in a party dress.
:) A costume change can be impressive to the guests.

Cons to having two dresses:
:( You have to take time away from the party to change.
:( It might not seem like enough time in the formal dress if the ceremony is short.
:( I will have to designate someone to help me change and make sure the long dress gets home safely.

Ok, ok, so this little exercise hasn’t lead to a conclusive decision on whether I should have one or two dresses. Did you think about more than one dress? How did you decide?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

First of all: you can rock a costume change in 30 seconds. I KNOW this to be true.
Second: you have to rely on the BRIDESMAID to take care of said responsibilities

Rock 2 dresses. That's what you want. Otherwise, we wouldn't have played this little game... would we? 2 dresses it is. You change when you feel ready to change. No plan necessary. You just grab a bridesmaid and say "it's time!" and then the costume change happens..... when YOU want.

My friend Kristen had a party dress. She actually stayed in her gown through the reception and changed into the party dress for the "after party" .... the hotel bar... with her "real people".

It can be done. Do it.
I'm here to help. That's my job.
Love you.

February 11, 2010 at 8:16 PM
Shannon said...

Jill, you are such a wonderful bridesmaid! Love you!!

February 12, 2010 at 8:02 AM

Post a Comment