Like Webster for Flowers

Monday, February 22, 2010

Flowers are a crucial part of wedding decor, but I am just no good at picking (pun intended). I am certain that I want floral centerpieces, but after that, I have no idea what I want. I have never had a favorite flower or a flower I didn’t like. I have no strong feelings about them either way. This proves to make deciding on flowers a really big challenge. I have scoured the internet to find the perfect centerpieces for our tables and I keep coming up with nothing.

We have met with (and paid a deposit to) a florist who seemed really willing to work with us. During our first meeting, she made some recommendations that I was really happy about. But a few weeks after our meeting, I wasn’t sure that I liked the idea that we chose. She said we had plenty of time to alter the plans, that this was a good starting point and I can agree with that.

I decided that maybe if I look further in the “meaning” of different flowers, the definitions would help me pick which could work for our wedding. So I searched the internet and found this site that had definitions of popular wedding flowers. I was very surprised by what I found.

Current Picks recommended by my florist:

Hydrangea: Vanity, Frigidity
Lily Orange: Hatred, Disdain, Wealth, Pride
White Lily: Majesty and Purity
Orange Rose: Enthusiasm, Desire
White Rose: Charm, Silence, Reverence, Humility, Innocence

My goodness. The flowers that we chose to start with have some pretty ugly definitions. Vanity, Hatred, Disdain. This is no good. I know that the most wedding guests are not looking too far into the centerpieces for symbolism, but my goodness.

Here are some other flowers that are pretty (with way better meanings):

Hibiscus: Delicate beauty
Orchid: Magnificence, Love, Beauty, Refinement
Peony: Healing, Live, Happy Marriage
Tulip: Love, Symbol of the perfect lover

Now that I understand the “meaning” behind these popular wedding flowers, I fear that I am in the same place that I started. I know there are other factors that could help in deciding such as, price, seasonality and color availability. I guess I am back to the drawing board.

0 comments:

Post a Comment