For the Love of Bubbly

Monday, February 15, 2010

When planning our special day, there were a few things that we were certain we wanted to splurge on. One of those things was a full service bar. Both Evan and I like to drink fancy drinks and many of our guests are famous for antics that occurred during a full service bar event. I don’t want anyone to get too crazy, but I do want to encourage people to loosen up and mingle. From my experience, the best way to do that is to POUR THE DRINKS!

Source

A full service bar was never a decision. Where I struggle is, deciding what to do about a Champagne toast? I have been to so many weddings where half full bottles of Champagne sit on the tables after the toast. I have seen full glasses get poured down the drain when not all the guests take a glass during the beverage pass before the toast. This absolutely breaks my heart and must be a big drain on the budget to pour out such deliciousness. This isn’t Scotch. You can not re-cork it!


I think part of the reason I feel so strongly about the waste of the Champagne toast is because of my love for the bubbly stuff. I don’t discriminate when it comes to sparkling drinks. Champagne, Sparkling Wine, Prosecco, I love it all. And I don’t need a special occasion to drink it. I’ll order it as a splurge when we are out, I’ll have it in a mimosa with a cold cereal breakfast or pop a bottle in celebration of Thursday. I fear that I am starting to sound like a lush, but really I just prefer Champagne as my drink of choice over a beer or a mixed drink. Some people splurge on fancy wines, imported beers or aged scotch, and I love Champagne. It is not a crime!

One idea that I am toying with is using a Champagne cocktail as a signature drink that would be passed during the cocktail hour. This way, I can incorporate my favorite beverage without fearing that it will go to waste. Guests can raise what ever glass they happen to have in their hand during the toasts and I will still be sure that we have enough Champagne on hand if any of my guests share the same love of the Bubbles as I do. There are a million and a half recipes for Champagne cocktails, but I’d like to narrow them down to “pink” drinks. Why, you ask? No good reason, I just think a pink cocktail is pretty and it will be a nice accent to the orange décor of the reception.

Source

Here are a few of the top contenders:


Orange/Pomegranate
1 shot Grand Marnier
1 shot pomegranate juice
Champagne or sparkling wine

Grenadine
2 shots orange juice
Dash of grenadine
Champagne or sparkling wine

Chambord
1 shot glass Chambord (French raspberry flavored liqueur)
1 tsp sugar
Champagne or sparkling wine

0 comments:

Post a Comment