Fashion Week Tried to Kill Me

Sunday, February 14, 2010

New York Fashion week is a dangerous place for a bride to be. I am usually a very decisive person and rarely second guess decision I have made quickly. I thought I had the whole female side of the bridal party taken care of. I picked out the bridesmaid dresses without effort during the last visit to New York. I knew the dress that would inspire my wedding dress from the moment I saw it in Bride Magazine. All of these things were certain, until I saw this…

Source

It was sitting in a lump on the cutting table in my brother’s studio the night before his fashion week show at Bryant Park. I saw this pink mass of a dress just in a pile and thought to myself, I bet this one is an incredible piece. Then they unfolded it and hung in on a hanger. Oh my goodness! My mother said, “You should get married in that.” Then my brother’s head designer and long time friend, Sam, said “I’m getting married in it.” Sam, this might be war.

After the quick visit to the studio, we went to the hotel and went to sleep. I didn’t dream about the dress. I really didn’t think about it at all. I was excited for the show. Excited to see all the clothes come to life on the runway.

The day of the runway show is always a whirlwind. We got up, wandered around the city and then got dressed to go early to hang out backstage. All the clothes are lined up around the perimeter of the backstage area and everything looks beautiful on the hangers, but there is still a lot of anticipation to see the clothes on the girls. The pink dress was getting a lot of interest from the photogs, but I didn’t pay much attention as photos are snapping all over backstage as the celebs arrive. It wasn’t until that moment that it came down the runway that I was certain I had to make a plea for it. I heard Mike Meyers from Wayne’s World whisper in my ear, “it will be mine, oh yes, it will me mine.” Here is one more photo to oogle….

Source

This dress is not a realistic option for a wedding dress. First of all, it is really heavy and difficult to walk in. The model who wore it in the show, Sessilee Lopez, is a super famous couture runway model and even she had a tough time getting down the runway and back in this monster of a dress. Second, there would be no way that I would be able to move in this dress other than down the aisle and back, meaning it would probably take more hours to make the dress then I would actually be wearing it. I would definitely need a second party dress to switch into immediately after the ceremony. And finally, this is a very difficult and time consuming dress to make. Sam already said he wasn’t making it again, so just forget that I ever saw it. That would mean that either I/my brother would have to force him, or I would just have to wear the pink one. This dress will definitely be the death of me.

Would it be totally insane to consider just wearing it as is?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know my policy - do what you want.

February 14, 2010 at 2:26 PM
Unknown said...

Love that dress! Now I want it for my wedding. But alas...,

February 15, 2010 at 3:51 PM

Post a Comment